What is the Atkins diet? This is the questions that are coming out from people out there who have never heard about this type of diet plan. Some people who have never tried or performed a diet program may don’t know what Atkins diet is. Through this article I’m going to give you some information regarding to Atkins diet.
The Definition and Purpose of Atkins Diet
Let’s talk about what is Atkins diet? And the main purpose of taking this type of diet plan. Atkins diet is a low carb intake type of diet that requires those who want to take this diet program to avoid eating foods containing high carbs and to replace the carbs with foods rich of protein and fat.
There is a wide range of diet plans with different methods people can consider and one of them is Atkins diet. Similar to the other types of diet plans, the main purpose of Atkins diet is to lose weight. Performing Atkins diet can help you get weight loss without doing any vigorous exercise. What you need to do is pretty simple and easy. Eating as much as foods containing protein and fats claims can help you lose weight, but you have to avoid high carbs foods.
It is said that diets with low carbs foods have been effective and successful in the purpose of losing weight (not considering of the counting for calories intake) for the past 12 years. It was Dr. Robert C. Atkins who first promoted this low-carbs diet. He wrote a best-selling diet book in 1972 and since that time the Atkins diet has been widely known in helping people dealing with weight loss.
After we have talked about what is the Atkins diet, let’s find out what foods are recommended to be consumed in order to get the weight loss. The followings are the healthy foods you should eat during your Atkins diet:
- Eggs – It is recommended to consume Omega-3 enriched or pastured eggs as they are the healthiest eggs.
- Fish and seafood full of fat such as cod, herring, salmon, sardines, trout, etc.
- Meats – bacon, beef, chicken, lamb, pork and others.
- Fatty dairy – butter, cream, cheese, fatty yoghurt.
- Healthy fats – avocados, avocado oil, coconut oil, and extra virgin olive oil.
- Nuts and seeds – almonds, macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, walnuts, etc.
- Vegetables (low-carbs) – asparagus, bokchoy, broccoli, cucumbers, kale, spinach, etc.
If you base your diet by eating those recommended foods, a full-fat source of protein with nut or vegetables and a number of healthy fats, you will get the weight loss you want.
Foods to Avoid
If earlier there are foods you should eat to lose weight, the followings are the foods you should not consume during Atkins diet if you want to lose weight. All you need to avoid eating is all starchy and sugary carb foods which can gain your weight.
- Foods containing sugar such as cakes, candy, fruit juices, ice cream, soft drinks, etc.
- Grains which high in carb like barley, rice, rye, spelt, and wheat.
- Vegetable oils such as canola oil, corn oil, cottonseed oil, soybean oil, and others.
- High carb fruits such as apples, bananas, oranges, pears.
- Potatoes and sweet potatoes
- Legumes like beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc.
- Trans-fats which are usually found in processed foods.
You Might Also Like : What can You Eat on the Atkins Diet – Nutritious Yet Delicious Food Option
How the Atkins Diet Works
The Atkins diet is differed into four phases:
The first phase is induction. It lasts from two weeks to lots of months. It relies on your targets. In this phase you have to starts eating high fat, high protein foods together with low carb vegetables of green vegetables.
The following phase is called balancing. This phase concentrates on continuing weight loss. In this phase you are permitted to multiply the consumption of your daily carb. You can add more nuts, small amounts of fruit, and low-carb vegetables back to your diet gradually.
The third phase is called fine tuning. This is the phase when you are nearly reaching your target weight. This time you can add more carbs to your diet till the weight loss reduces.
The fourth and last phase is maintenance. As this is the last phase, you can consume as lots of healthy carbs as it can be tolerated by your body without gaining your weight back.
By reading this article I hope you are more comprehend about what is the Atkins diet, what to eat, what to avoid and how this low carb diet works. You have nothing to lose to get started taking the Atkins diet to deal with your weight. It’s relatively easy to perform and proved to be effective in losing weight. Learn more and you can start perform this low carb diet to prove yourself about what is the Atkins diet.