Mediterranean diet menu plan is based on traditional foods and recipes of Mediterranean style cooking. The menu plan in the Mediterranean diet is very healthy, especially for your heart. The Mediterranean diet menu plan includes mostly healthy diets, such as fruits, vegetables, fish, whole grains, and limited unhealthy fats. What you have to do if you want to follow the Mediterranean diet is to consume a moderate amount of eggs, cheese, poultry, and yogurt as well as you have to include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and seeds, legumes, olive oil, herbs, and spices in your meals. When choosing seafood, you have to choose the fresh one.
What can you eat?
There are plenty of healthy foods which you can enjoy in your Mediterranean diet menu plan.
- Seafood. Salmons, tuna, trout, shrimps, clams, oysters, etc.
- Veggies and fruits. Tomatoes, broccoli, spinach, onions, carrots, cucumbers, Brussels sprout, apples, peaches, grapes, dates, oranges, strawberries, pears, and many more
- Beans, peas, chickpeas, lentils, peanuts, and many more.
- Nuts and seeds. Almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, Macadamia nuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and so on.
- Whole grains. Brown rice, whole wheat, barley, buckwheat, rye, corn, whole grains bread and pasta.
- Poultry. Duck, turkey, chicken, etc.
- Herbs and spices. Rosemary, basil, cinnamon, garlic, pepper, and more.
- Healthy fats. Olives, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, and avocado oil.
You can drink water and a moderate amount of wine, about a glass per day, limited amount of coffee or tea without sweetener.
In Mediterranean diet menu plan, you have to avoid any kind of food that contains unhealthy fats, sugary food, refined grains, and oil, as well as processed food and meat.
You Might Also Like : What is a Mediterranean Diet – Benefits and How it Works
Now, when you have known what kind of food you can eat, enter the food into your Mediterranean diet menu plan. There are different calorie amount in each Mediterranean diet program which gives a different result, but you can adjust the meal plan based on your own preferences and needs. Below is the simple Mediterranean diet menu plan for a week.
- ½ cup of oatmeal, you can top it with 1 tbsps. chopped walnuts
- A cup of strawberries or ½ medium sized apple
- A cup of Greek yogurt
- Whole grain sandwich served with vegetables, or
- Green salad (green leafy, cucumber tomatoes) mixed with ¼ cup of spiced chickpeas
- A tuna salad with olive oil dressing
- A fruit, or
- Roasted salmon, or
- Tuna salad
In between meals, you can have midday snack and evening snack
- ½ medium sized apple
- 6 dried apricots, or
- A fresh fig medium size.
- Oatmeal with sliced fruit and nuts or with raisin
- Leftover tuna salad from dinner before, or
- Green salad
- Tomato salad with olives and feta cheese, or
- 1 ¾ cup of tomato and artichoke gnocchi
- 5 dried apricots
- 5 walnuts
- Whole grain toast with egg, or
- Vegetable omelet and a fruit
- Whole grain sandwich filled with fresh veggies and cheese, or
- Green salad
- Mediterranean lasagna, or
- Cod with veggies and couscous
- 2 clementine, or
- 3 dried apricot, or
- ¼ cup of chickpeas
- A slice of whole wheat toast with a tbsp. peanut butter
- A medium sized banana
- Green salad, or leftover lasagna from the night before
- Broiled salmon with brown rice and vegetables, or
- A cup of Italian egg drop soup
- ½ cup strawberries
- 5 walnut halves
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- Oatmeal with sliced fruit and nuts, or
- Fried eggs and vegetables (use olive oil)
- Oatmeal and nuts, and greek yogurt with strawberries
- Grilled lamb served with salad and potato, or
- Roasted pork with asparagus and cherry tomato
- ½ medium sized apples
- ½ cup of sliced strawberries
- 1 medium-sized plum
- Oatmeal with raisin and a medium-sized apple, or
- A sliced of whole wheat toast with a tbsp. peanut butter
- 1 medium-sized banana
- Green salad with pita bread and hummus, or
- Whole grain sandwich filled with vegetables
- Whole wheat Mediterranean pizza with cheese, veggies, and olives as a topping
- A hardboiled egg
- A medium sized apple
- Vegetables omelet fried n olive oil, or
- Egg and a slice of whole wheat toast
- Green salad, or
- Leftover Mediterranean pizza from the previous night
- Grilled chicken served with vegetables and a potato, or
- Chicken saltimbocca with ½ cup of couscous and a cup of steamed broccoli.
- A medium sized apple
- ½ cup sliced strawberries
As long as you keep up with moderate eating habit with a healthy menu from Mediterranean diet program, you can have a nice meal while losing weight. Hope you can try one of the Mediterranean diet menu plans.